View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 02:18 PM   #17
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing here, before we disagree about it.

The correct word for reducing the amplitude in waves (sound, or harmonic) is "damping" or "to damp."
The word "dampen" or "dampening" means to make damp or moist, and is concerned with liquid, not sound or harmonics.

So: if you're rolling your eyes because you think these motors aren't already wet enough, and they need a dual-mass clutch to make them wetter..... well....

BUT: if you meant to say that the motor needs the dual mass flywheel for it's damping effects.... I'd argue that on its merit... all day and twice on Sunday.

A dual-mass flywheel is an incredibly ineffective way to provide harmonic damping for a motor. It does NOT act the same as a harmonic balancer (very common). IF this motor required harmonic damping, don't you think Porsche would've designed some way of providing such? (And they PROBABLY would've used one of the existing, engineered, effective measures?)

Don't be that's not why I am rolling my eyes Drama Queen!