View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #13
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Funny, I never said ANYTHING about your cherished light weight flywheel…….

Sure sounds like the people that make them believe other wise about what a DMF does...……..…...
Sounds to me like we're talking about a different type of dual mass flywheel. What LUK is describing there is a far cry from what's installed on the M96. Those types of dual-mass flywheels have been used on large-equipment motors for quite some time, and are in production cars recently because of the significant vibrations inherent in small 3, $ 4 cylinder motors with very small displacement, where the firing pattern doesn't allow for an even delivery of power. But even then, the number one concern is the transfer of that uneven torque / vibration / sound / harmonics to the driveline.

And as to your snarky comment about my "cherished" lwfw: that's how we GOT to this conversation, friend. And that's the only reason I can think of to ditch the comfort of a dual-mass flywheel. (can YOU think of another reason?)

there was really no need to get personal about this, JFP. we were being friendly. maybe a little sarcastic, hehe but friendly.

I think some of y'all have become very comfortable tossing-out "conventional wisdom", as if it were fact. I realize that's very common: the more something gets repeated without being challenged, the more it is just accepted as truth. The problem is that now you're offended when someone challenges it. I'm not being rude, I'm questioning because it's what I do: I'm a "disruptive innovator" by trade. If it doesn't make sense, then let's change how we're doing it. If conventional wisdom is right, then let's keep it. But if it doesn't hold-up to scrutiny, then let's put it back in the "needs further research" category. (or even the "myth debunked" category)
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote