View Single Post
Old 06-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #10
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I didn't say it's ineffective... I said it's a relatively ineffective way to provide harmonic damping / balancing. Which is true. Unless you always have the clutch disengaged.

It is effective at several other things, which, I believe, are the reasons Porsche (and several other manufacturers) have been and continue to use them. I do not believe that the harmonic damping is the driving cause for the use of a dual-mass flywheel for any of the manufacturers or road-going automobiles.
Well, according to Sachs and LUK, two of the largest manufacturers of them, that is exactly why they are used. Google it...…….……

The primary reason Porsche when with it in the 986 is that the M96 engine is also used in the 996, which has a crossmember directly in the way of the front of the engine, requiring as thin a front pulley as possible, thereby precluding a thicker coventional harmonic dampener:

Last edited by JFP in PA; 06-07-2019 at 09:03 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote