View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #9
flouese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Exactly. Every time I turn a wrench I'm saving $125-$150 an hour shop rate. Granted, doing things the first time (WP... AOS... MM...) it likely takes me twice as much time as a shop so, when for the first time I've completed the maintenance, repair, replacement of a part... I divide the number of hours by two... multiplied by ~shop rate... and spend that money elsewhere.

I saved THOUSANDS... THOUSANDS of dollars doing my own repairs/maintenance... and wouldn't have done so absent the huge brain trust of this forum.

:dance:
Let me chime in on doing your own maintenance. I am NOT a motor head, however several years ago I did a total rebuild on my 66 912. Started 15 minute after the last bolt went in. Fast forward, last year my 99 base Boxster motor quit. I bought a new motor and priced a shop install. After quotes from $6-10K, I decided to take the plunge. Used many references, took my time and did it myself with the assistance of a few friends for the heavy lifting. Now I feel I am intimate with my motor and understand its moods. It was rewarding do the job. Lastly, I am not sad that I did not fund some mechanics kids college education.