View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #201
Steve Hurt

Garage
Very interesting thread containing important thoughts and information regarding the IMS problem. Events causing why the failure, bearing breakdown, contamination, oil used, driving habits, etc. A lot to consider and why when buying a 1997-2008 Cayman/Boxster 986 & 987.

The following is some of the more important reasons why I just purchased 2002 Boxster S:
The car had excellent service records including LN Engeering INS bearing. The bearing has about 50,000 net miles, car total miles 134,000. Car was driven initially by a long time PCA member until about 109,000 miles; The car was sold to another long time member whose son drove it hard for the balance of the mileage.All checks supported the car being in excellent shape/condition mechanically. I purchased the car with the idea I needed to look at clutch, flywheel, pressure plate,IMS, etc.

In sum, found everything in great shape except for the flywheel and the IMS installation. There was nothing wrong with IMS bearing (50,000 miles) except who installed it leaving surfaces, edges, etc. Evidence of some not really knowing how to install IMS was replaced again as a prevention; flywheel replace with new one. I incurred the necessary expense here because I come from an aviation background (General Aviation, commercial, maintenance, and flying) where prevention is a way doing business.

What are the characteristics around the IMS? Consider some of the following items as causes such as a packed bearing being designed into an area which is usually serviced by pressure oil. It could be the design has been supported by certain driving habit, seal failure, heat, metal failure, oil type, etc. In other words, a whole of probabilities for cause.
Steve Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote