View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
geekdaddy

Convertible top expert advice???

OK so I thought the install was "good enough" but I'd like to make it perfect...

Overall fit seems good but having two issues:
1. Slight baggy/puffy area on the sides near where the cable connects to the aluminum plates and where the frame pieces mate.
2. Some frame component outlines visible from the outside. Slight raised areas near the back edge of each window.

See attached photos where I cast a shadow with a light to make the areas more visible and pronounced. In natural lighting you can only see from ~10 ft.

At first I thought I hadn't pulled the top tight enough on each side near the rear of the aluminum plates so I removed the front edge and refitted the top around the aluminum pieces. I pulled the fabric in-board so the original pilot holes were now on the inside of the plates and I had to punch new holes in the top. This didn't remove the loose section and in-fact may have made it slightly worse. This baffles me since I pulled it in ~3/32" on each side. Also, the cable is physically attached to the top in this area so pulling/rolling the area further under and inside on the plate would likely misalign the cable point too far inside (as opposed to the edge).

This language may be confusing to some but hopefully clear to those who have installed their tops.

Any recommendations here? WRT the 2nd issue I am surprised that I can see some of the inner frame shapes slightly outlined in the top near the rear of the window. Not very visible in natural light although you can see it better here as I used the light angle to accentuate shadows. Perhaps the original was like this as well but I don't recall and this area isn't "adjustable." If it were, I suppose I could loosen it so the top wasn't pulled as taught across the frame. Perhaps I am being too picky??

Lower rear of the top shows creases but this is due to recently raising it -- they go away in the warm sun. Open to suggestions! Pls share your ideas.

geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote