View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
TNT79Bronco
More of a truck guy

Engine Jumped Timing Diagnosis- 2000 Base

Concerns a PROJECT BOXSTER - Couldn’t resist buying a $700 Boxster that wouldn’t start, w/133k miles. Diagnosed by a Porsche Dealer, as cam 1 had jumped timing. NO KNOWN INFORMATION other than that, from the previous owner. Husband died and the wife picked it up from Porsche and sold it after sitting for a year or so.

I brought it home yesterday, washed it, cleaned it up, and put it up on a lift and started to dig in. No metallic particle or plastic piece in the oil sump ( very surprised), and the coolant was clear orange.

Let’s just get this out of the way.....not every engine issue is the IMS. I’m not saying that this isn’t IMS related, BUT, I am not one that chirps IMS as the cause for every issue.

1. What are causes to jump timing that don’t produce any plastic or metallic particles in oil sump or filter?

2. What diagnostic steps/tests would you do, to determine possible failure cause?

I can pull the engine, and am absolutely realistic about potential damage. I have no illusions that there is a real simple fix. But before pulling the engine, I thought I would get the brain trust involved and methodically eliminate causes, if possible.

I do not want to try and crank it over, with the starter.

I know I can buy a replacement engine and throw it in there.

Thanks!!