View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
Ronzi

Let me confess at the outset that I don't know squat about installing a windshield, but I'll tell you what an installer did installing a new windshield on my Honda Odyssey, and maybe that will (partially) explain why one guy charges practically nothing to put it in, while another will charge hundreds of dollars.

When the guy took the old windshield out, he pulls out a big linoleum knife thing
and cuts the gasket off the windshield. He then pulls the glass out, lays the new glass in the hole, and GLUES the old gasket back onto the windshield. At least he glues the top half of the gasket, the part that he cut off, onto the glass. The bottom half of the gasket is still laying in the windshield hole, so he doesn't have to do anything with it. All this takes less time to do than it takes me to describe it.
Gone in 60 Seconds, practically.

Maybe I'm nuts and that's the way it's supposed to be done, but it seems to me that the gasket probably is actually one piece of extruded rubber with a channel in it that fits snugly around the edge on both the top and the bottom of the glass. And it's probably a blue ******************** to fit to the glass. Which is why the guys that do it in your driveway don't do it that way.

Nevertheless, the new windshield hasn't leaked a drop, but I have had to re-glue it in both of the upper corners.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote