Thread: Thanks Trump
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #166
piper6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
We're not helping the situation with hyperbole from both sides. Perfectlap, you make many good points, but you project them across too broad of an expanse. (But you're much closer to reality than the fear- mongering that comes from "my side")

Here's the deal:
As long as legality remains so difficult to attain, we will have illegal immigration. Who can blame them?
As long as there are people willing to hire undocumented workers (objecting to e-verify) we will have low- wage, undocumented workers.
As long as there are central- and- south American illegal immigrants moving 4 families and 11 cars into a single- family home, who don't teach their children why it was so important for them to come to the U.S. in the first place, and who skirt the system and take advantage of the social programs the rest pay for.... yes, there will be animosity.

There needs to be a solution that includes easier access to legal status. There needs to be mandatory e-verify in every work place. This in turn means higher wages for those immigrants, and more access to social programs. It also will allow them to actually PAY-IN to the system, and get something back out of it later.
Get them out of the shadows where they can enjoy the full American dream they came here for. End the resentment on both sides by embracing their new country with love that demonstrates the reasons they came here. End the resentment from the right by letting these immigrants make a decent wage, regulated (and taxed) the same way the rest of the country is.

Our inability or unwillingness to enact reasonable immigration policies has created a caste system every bit as disgusting as those of middle-age Europe. Those immigrants who hide in the shadows and "steal" from our pockets are lower-class citizens in every sense but one: their innate rights to liberty and the pursuit of happiness. They have those rights because they're human; but we aren't letting them exercise them here.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Somebody smack me, because I agree with 99% of what you just said!!

I do not agree that resentment from the right will end when immigrants make a decent wage and pay taxes. They'll resent them for "taking their jobs." They already have things to say about Indians, Asians, Jews, Blacks.

Besides, a good portion of undocumented workers are using fake SSNs so they are not only paying taxes already, but they're also contributing to our Social Security and will never recoup the benefits.

Last edited by piper6909; 05-23-2019 at 02:22 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote