View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 04:40 AM   #13
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Good tip from Kram... that crap gets very brittle and breaks easily what w/ all the German over-engineering and engine compartment heat.

You were in there for W/P and didn't do serp belt, w/ unknown history, whilst there? Shame on you

Did it have any clearly legible white printing left? If little, none, or not legible then yeah, I'd do now while in there or it'll likely be the reason you go back in (old belt was 'seasoned' w/ the old W/P... if you know what I mean). It's cheap insurance and keep the used one as an emergency backup (wrapped up behind your compact donut in the frunk is a good location). This way if the new ever breaks you won't be stuck on side of road in a small town in the middle of nowhere on a holiday weekend wishing for both a correct size belt and 15/16 socket and wrench... you'll just need the socket & wrench

Good luck!
Oh... I'm shamed.

I don't recall if it still had the white lettering, I believe not. I removed it when I replaced the WP... inspected it... and it looked brand new. However... I get the "seasoned" part and, when next I place a Pelican order (to include transmission filter kit) I'll order that "cheap insurance". Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Check the top of your engine for power steering fluid, the pump overflow pukes it out on top of the motor, makes a nasty mess. Check your PS fluid too, maybe consider replacing.
Last week I had the cover off, and noticed a sharp hose kink about 2 inches from where it exits the reservoir. Cut it off just behind the kink... bought a couple feet of hose and will replace it this weekend. I've looked into replacing the fluid... and it appears I'll be getting under the car... disconnecting a line... draining... and refilling. Looks to be a real pain in the ass. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Cheers!