View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
Burg Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Thanks, Kram. I'll watch for that... as I've read it can be a pain to install. And that leads me to a question:

Couldn't that hard plastic pipe be replaced with some rubber tubing? Maybe a cut here... a cut there... introduce the rubber hose and worm-drive clamp to hold it together?

Burg... WP replaced <1K ago along with LTT. MM replaced while I was in there.

The serpentine belt looks fine... no squealing... no cracks... nice and snug. However, I'm not sure when last it was replaced. It seems rather solid. So... preventative replacement... or wait until next time I'm in there?

Thanks, Fellas!
Good tip from Kram... that crap gets very brittle and breaks easily what w/ all the German over-engineering and engine compartment heat.

You were in there for W/P and didn't do serp belt, w/ unknown history, whilst there? Shame on you

Did it have any clearly legible white printing left? If little, none, or not legible then yeah, I'd do now while in there or it'll likely be the reason you go back in (old belt was 'seasoned' w/ the old W/P... if you know what I mean). It's cheap insurance and keep the used one as an emergency backup (wrapped up behind your compact donut in the frunk is a good location). This way if the new ever breaks you won't be stuck on side of road in a small town in the middle of nowhere on a holiday weekend wishing for both a correct size belt and 15/16 socket and wrench... you'll just need the socket & wrench

Good luck!