View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
KRAM36
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Surely you're pulling his leg and just forgot the wink emoji, right?

Variance on front tire 40 series in 225 vs 235 is 4mm... ummm 1/8 of an inch. That's rounding or ummm tire wear - HA!

Difference b/w 40 and 35 series on rear 265 tire is theoretically 13.25 mm...barely 1/2in (assuming manufactured w/ 0% tolerance variance - LOL). And that's if, and ONLY IF, 35 series is even available (it may well not be and mfg could hedge this a bit to keep sku counts down). Not to mention a '99 Boxster does not have nearly the current day electronic "nannies" which could (though very doubtfully) be even affected ~ 1/2" variance (again, sans tire wear).

Again, hope you know him and meant that post as tongue in cheek. If not I'd suggest seeking a better understanding of tire sizes.
I agree his statement was overboard, however if it was my car I would go with 265/35/18 tires to better match the rotation speed of the front tires and make the car feel less twitchy and yes most all tire manufacturers make that tire size. Also the circumference difference between the the 35 and 40 series is a 3.9% smaller circumference for the 35 series. So he would get a bit quicker acceleration and stiffer sidewall for better handling, but will ride just a bit rougher.