View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #5
Burg Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
This weekend will find me removing my starter... cleaning and greasing it to eliminate the noise associated with the starter gear not retracting quickly enough.

AOS I replaced a few months ago, so that's good. I reach out to the community to see if there's anything else to which I should attend/inspect, while I have some room in there.

No codes. Idles perfectly at ~7K/8K. No unusual sounds.

125,000 miles.

Thank you.
Well, a lot depends on what HAS been done vis-a-vis while you are in there.

At very least the serp belt ($25-30) is a no brainer if not done in past few years /50k miles. With starter you'll likely find to get full access you'll want to get to front side of motor too. So might as well just remove panel behind seats at onset as opposed to in frustration 1/2 way thru. Thus suggestion for serp belt (5min more).

Obviously inspect all idlers & pulleys for abnormal wear/signs of potential failure along w/ P/S and H2O pumps. IF you do a fair amount of track/DEs you should consider an under drive pulley. Has water pump ever been done or rather when last done? With 125k on the clock you're on borrowed time again depending on what has been done previously and when.

Good luck