View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
tonythetiger
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon View Post
ok, thanks. its about 90k miles on the clock.
so if it is these (and sounds like not an easy way to verify?? would a garage be able to test better? or is it hit/miss for them too?)
i've just looked at what they are and I can't see how they would 'wear' to need replacing as they are just a metal rod. will it have snapped or something? i see some ones from a breakers for £17 or new ones. or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-CAYMAN-911-REAR-TIE-ROD-TRAILING-ARM-MEYLE-A1321/202297117092?fits=Plat_Gen%3A986&epid=249039273&hash=item2f19d909a4:g:mCMAAOSwER1a3dcf&frcectupt=true#rwid for £55. i assume i'd only need to replace 1 (although both could be a good idea i guess)
thats not it...in the exploded diagram from the link you just provided...its part number 8. This is the most likely cause.
Nothing is broken, but the rubber ends get hard and shrink...just a little and the clunking noise shows up. almost impossible to check because everything is under tension. even after removing the part I couldn't tell something was wrong.
some after market stuff is out there for about 150 bucks, some fancy ones are out there for racers as well. I use the TRW replacement part and have been pleased since I replaced them 2.5 years ago on the first car. Just changed out the 2002. solved my problem. replace them both.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote