View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #4
Perfectlap

If my Boxster was still under warranty I wouldn't go to these guys either. But they must have some kind of deal with manufacturer of the glass because they had the OEM glass in stock and did the job for roughly what the dealership charges for the glass itself. A two hour job at the dealer rate (if they don't farm it out) of $140 an hour and it's an $800 job out of pocket with a high probability of it having to be done again. I asked my insurance company if they offered a windshield glass option and they said no dice. I opted for the $1000 deductible on my insurance to bring down these ridiculously high rates here in Jersey.

but Safelite is a chain so I doubt one shop will do a better job than another. But this one was in Bergen County (Hasbrouck Heights route 17 North). I don't want to bad mouth the operation because the shop was very clean, the customer service was fine and the job itself (minus the glaring lack of precautions) was also fine (so far). The work is guaranteed against stress fractures or any other defects so unless a truck kicks back that rock causing the glass to crack, you're covered for the lifetime of the glass. But with 1 hour installations its a volume business and like any in and out type business they don't monitor their employees as closely as they should.
p.s.
Initially I thought this was an 'internal' stress crack because I couldn't feel a break in the glass on either the outside or inside. What started out as a small 3 inch split (anything bigger than a small coin can't be fixed) at the top of the header quickly made its way down to the wipers in almost a straight vertical line.
The installer pointed out where the crack started, a very very tiny chip on the outside near the top header, wish I would have caught it sooner it could have been repaired and avoided a $500 expense. A good idea to inspect your glass
regularly. You can get a clear bra for the windshield to avoid pitting from these other guys:

sales@premiermobilegroup.com
B: 510-623-1308
B: 510-406-1500

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-02-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote