View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #13
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefunkygibbon View Post
great idea and yes, looks great. how much did that end up costing you? what were the specs of the sheet (thickness, size of holes etc) also how do you secure them? i keep reading people using zip ties but i'm guessing that looks awful, especially when you're having them there to look nice!
The zip ties don't look awful, really. Almost not noticeable. That's the easiest part.

However, making your own can be costly, and very time consuming. By hand you must measure out each hole, mark them, and then comes the drilling. You can't use just any old drill, no sir. You must use a Dremel tool, and with the expensive diamond-dust carbide-aluminum tip. Then, meticulously you must drill out each hole and... here's where it can get really expensive: one drill-bit per hole. Further each hole diameter must be measured with a micrometer and, again, not just any off-the-shelf-micrometer... for it must be able to meaure hole diameter down to .000000000000000000000000000000001 of an inch for, if just one of those holes isn't perfectly drilled, well, you can imagine the shame and ridicule by fellow Porsche owners. Finally, the rubber edging must be sourced from Indonesia, as it is made from a special "Rubbercone", a hybrid material from the rubber tree and hard-to-find silicone tree.

That is why many people just break down and spend the money for the set.

1. Ordering a set from the Internet will take ~10 minutes, and ~$325 brand new.

2. Making your own will take ~375 man hours and $3K-$4K in tools. It's all those ****************ing holes.

I bet 78350 will just buy a pair next time.

Post a pic of the pair that you purchase. Likely 300-400 members closely watching this thread.