View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #7
elgyqc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I wondered the same thing, how to tell if the joint was still good, and the way I tested it was to hold the axle in one had, and the joint in the other had, and twist the joint to move the axle. If the axle moves right away, and there is no clicking/play from when you rotate the joint and when you feel the force in the axle, then I believe you are all good. I tried this throughout a couple of positions of CV joint extension with relation to the axle.
This sounds like a good test to me. Of course it should not be clicking when driven. My 928 developed a click that I noticed a low speed while backing into my driveway. The boots looked good, but one end of one was a bit loose and water poured out when I took the boot off. Even though there was plenty of grease still in there all the components were rusty. The other CV joint on the same half-shaft looked fine, but when I cleaned it to repack it with grease I found a gouge in the inner race that looked like a manufacturing defect that had been uncovered as the joint wore. Had to change both joints.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote