View Single Post
Old 05-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
Boo

Question 2019 thoughts on my 2002 S 6 Speed manual transmission sometimes issue going into 2nd

Hi and thanks for looking at my post. I'm very appreciative of this forum and have been lurking since I got my car 9 months ago and have learned much.
My 2002 S has 46K miles on it, has not had anything done to the 6 speed manual transmission to date I can determine. But, I think it may be time. I have been studying up on the issue the 6 speed manuals sometimes have with second gear and many of the forum posts are very old at this point. The most extensive posts seem to be from 2012. Looking for your opinions on steps you would take on it and in what order, please.
My shifts into 2nd, sometimes, but almost always when from a cold start up, are met with slight grinding if I do not slowly wait for gears to align before I pop it into second. When warmed up it does not seem to happen and shifts normally.
Thinking these should be my steps towards helping the problem and assessing along the way how they effect it.
1. Replace the transmission fluid with the OEM Porsche fluid. (I have no indication it has been changed previously)
2. Check the motor mounts.
3. Install the G-Box detent, which some write ups call out as being effective for the issue I am having.
4. Further suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited by Boo; 05-08-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote