View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #6
KRAM36
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
The EBC Redstuff has an anti-squeal pad on the back, so even without the stock shims I wouldn't expect to hear a grinding. I ran them for a good bit and didn't get any metallic grinding on stopping. My first choice for brake grinding is the rotor shields, as it is easy to bend them when working under there, and if they touch the rotor it makes a sound just like you describe, but that would be constant, unless the rotor is somehow moving laterally, like if a wheel bearing was bad, but I think you just replaced those too. So I got nothing...
I have not replaced the bearings yet, still waiting on some items to arrive, should have everything this Saturday, except the torque wrench, but it should be here by the time I'm ready to torque the axle nuts down. Maybe that will help some?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I've used EBC reds on MANY cars over the last several years. They're my choice for street pads, because they're ceramic.... making dust a non-issue. And they've ALWAYS made a grinding noise, more if you don't follow the bed-in directions. And less once they're warm.
This is good information on the grinding noise with the EBC RedStuff pads. I did the bed-in properly. I really do like the stopping power of my car and the lesser dusting is a plus too. Guess I'll have to weigh benefit of quiet braking against losing some stopping power.