View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #12
Boxstard

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
After a few more false starts and strategical retreats the disassembly is completed.
My clutch disk is toast but the flywheel and pressure plate are useable. I have prepared my parts list with a new release bearing, new F/W bolts and a clutch disk as well as all the other necessary bits and pieces. I am planning to change the drive-shaft boots since they are really hard even though they are still intact.
With the F/W off I locked the cams and inspected the IMSB without removing it. First, it is a dual row bearing and it looks perfect, turns smoothly and there is no looseness. I pulled the rear bearing seal and oil came out... I was surprised that it didn't smell burned and it looked relatively clean. The grease was totally gone.
At this point the plan is to change the seal on the IMS flange and put it back together. I watched the PCA videos with Jake Raby again and he explained the logic behind removing the seals to help lubricate the bearing. I feel confident with this procedure on this car at this time.

IMS bearing with the seal in place

With the seal removed

I have posted another thread with some lessons I learned while removing the transmission.
Clutch removal notes from my current project.

What's the harm to repack grease in the bearing and replace the seal? Especially when you found that oil can get past the seal and keep bearing lubed reasonably well after grease got washed?

They talk about oil ingress past the seal and trapped there are all bad yet removing the seal that may not retain lube there all the time is OK? How do we know that oil is always splashing over the bearing under all operational conditions? I'd rather have old trapped oil inside the bearing all the time than no oil to there even for seconds.

My 97 with original double-row at almost 90K miles, I'm more encouraged with your data point, still lots more life left with IMSB and not gonna lose sleep over it.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!

Last edited by Boxstard; 04-15-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote