View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 12:07 AM   #15
SD987

There are two different sized round speakers in each door I suppose providing bass and midrange and 3 small speakers in the dash that must be providing treble (one in the middle and the other two on each side of the dash). This is the cheap stereo Porsche provides and it sounds like mud.

So stereo guy is saying to change everything to Alpine. I do not think his reason for this is because Alpine is the best but rather that Alpine is the best he has here.

The plan is we will change the two door speakers on each side, put two tweeters in the front and forget about the middle speaker in the dash. In the trunk we will stick in some sort of huge subwoofer and amp.

Yeah, good idea to not replace the middle speaker in the dash, since it's actually the air conditioner sensor.

Base 987 has four speakers. SPP has seven and Bose has 11. On the 986 it went 2, 6 and 10.

Have you considered the idea of retrofitting the sound package plus (adding three speakers). You may be able to order from the dealer, and it's OEM. From comments I've read, it's an improvement. You could always subsequently swap out the head unit and then have the seven speakers to work with instead of four. Might be worth contacting your dealer to see if possible and what would be involved.

When I had my base, I investigated a sound upgrade from a high-end shop here in La Jolla that had worked on other 987s and they said to keep the head unit and add the enclosed subwoofer in the footwell as the first step (as others have suggested).

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

Last edited by SD987; 09-29-2006 at 12:09 AM.
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote