View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #7
specboxCO

I have done the opposite and put 987 suspension on my 986.

To make it work was a bit of a process, but finally worthwhile.

My reasoning for doing it was I wanted to use the 987 carriers with the larger wheel bearings and lighter construction for my racecar.

Rears were very easy. Just a straight swap of the carrier and the shocks bolted right up.

Fronts bolted up fine, but the front sat about an inch higher than it should. Even using shorter springs I couldn't get the ride height I wanted.

First of all I tried using rear carriers on the front - on the 986 the front and rear carriers are the same, but on the 987s they are different. This solved the ride height problem, but the front discs fouled on the carrier. The brake ducts also fouled on the carrier, so this solution was abandoned.

So I went back to the 987 front carriers and compared them to the 986. The overall distance between the bottom ball joint and the shock mounting hole was the same, but the distance from the top of the carrier to the shock mounting hole was larger by just under an inch on the 987. This locates the shock higher overall in the carrier.

So I machined an inch off the top of the carrier to bring the overall height down to that of the 986. This solution seems to work perfectly.

Ride height is great, no issues with any fouling and the carriers seem to be holding up fine with the material removed.

One potential issue from this swap is that the ABS sensors are different. I got rid of the Porsche ABS controller and am using a Teves MK60, so I don't know if they would work with the original Porsche controller on the 986.
specboxCO is offline   Reply With Quote