View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #33
Quadcammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Now that I mentioned the special sensors, which the wideband 02 sensor is what I was referring to and our cars do not have these. So you will need to take the car to a tune shop to get your AFR adjusted properly for a lean or rich condition. Unless you have one heck of a nice home setup and you know what you're doing.

Tunes that remove O2 readings is what has to do with the price of tea in China. In other words, you saying O2 sensors are a must for a proper AFR is incorrect. A tuner can set the ECU to ignore the O2 sensors and actually make the these cars more responsive for street driving.

Do you not read anything I post? I stated I replaced all of my O2 sensors with new proper Bosch O2 sensors. So yes I know these cars have four O2 sensors and I also understand the roll they play in with ECU for streetability driving without a tune. Do you know why I have NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers? Because I have a Tiptronic car and these are the only headers that can be used with a Tiptronic car and retain the all four O2 sensors and have cats in the system to allow the ECU to read them properly.

When I say the car is a pig on gas, I mean when I'm putting the hammer down. In a 0 to 60 run the OBC will read out a .3 MPG drop and that's in 5.20 seconds, so imaging a full session of spirited driving. I've seen the OBC read out 16 MPG during spirited driving. On the norm city driving it's at 19 MPG on the highway it's at 24 MPG. Also the Tiptronic has a different gear ratio then the manuals.
1. You made it sound as if dramatic and specialized equipment is needed for a/f ratio analysis. A wideband 02 kit with gauge is $160.

2. wow. so 02 sensors are just useless and removing makes the car run better? Thats news to me and to every single automobile produced within the last 25 years.

Lets examine that. So you have a tune that removes your 02 sensors. The 02s are what creates the bloody feedback loop. Without them, the computer will have no idea whether its changes are working to keep the a/f stoich. This is vital to closed loop driving, which makes continuous changes (have a look at your short term fuel trims) to fuel delivery and timing. Most cars as they age have slightly positive long term fuel trims meaning that the computer has to add fuel to keep the a/f stoich as fuel pumps age, injectors clog, vacuum leaks appear, etc. If you remove the 02 sensors, the computer would have no way of knowing about this. To remove front 02 sensors is absolutely horrible idea and is exactly why every car made in the past 25 years uses them.

Now, lets say you have a specific race car that only runs at WOT. Now, you may be able to tune fuel and timing maps with enough specificity at every temperature that the car would run ok without 02 sensors, but you'd be going by feel instead of data and would basically be reverting back to an electronic version of a carburetor. Any changes in barometric pressure, air density, etc would have to be tuned for, and that basically invalidates the whole point of electronic fuel injection in the first place.

As to your point about gas mileage at WOT....uh yeah, usually its not good.

Please do some reading on the topic before making these ludicrous statements.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote