View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #32
KRAM36
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
What the hell are you talking about. A simple wideband 02 in the exhaust can tell you your a/f ratio with excellent accuracy. Tunes can be done with obd flash tools if you see fit, but are hardly worth it for mostly stock cars. What that has to do with the price of tea in china, i'm not sure.

You realize, I hope, that these cars have FOUR 02 sensors. The front, i.e. pre-cat, 02 sensors are the ones that report the a/f ratio. Removing these is asinine and would remove an important element of how the car runs at part throttle. I'm 100% sure that racers remove their REAR 02 sensors, but again, that has nothing to do with a/f, so who cares about those.

My car is basically identical in its intake setup to yours, but mine has a 996 intake manifold, and my car gets excellent gas mileage so it seems you have an issue.

P1128/1130 are lean codes....so.....

Please stop, you just make yourself look silly.
What the hell are you talking about? Now that I mentioned the special sensors, which the wideband 02 sensor is what I was referring to and our cars do not have these. So you will need to take the car to a tune shop to get your AFR adjusted properly for a lean or rich condition. Unless you have one heck of a nice home setup and you know what you're doing.

Tunes that remove O2 readings is what has to do with the price of tea in China. In other words, you saying O2 sensors are a must for a proper AFR is incorrect. A tuner can set the ECU to ignore the O2 sensors and actually make the these cars more responsive for street driving.

Do you not read anything I post? I stated I replaced all of my O2 sensors with new proper Bosch O2 sensors. So yes I know these cars have four O2 sensors and I also understand the roll they play in with ECU for streetability driving without a tune. Do you know why I have NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers? Because I have a Tiptronic car and these are the only headers that can be used with a Tiptronic car and retain the all four O2 sensors and have cats in the system to allow the ECU to read them properly.

When I say the car is a pig on gas, I mean when I'm putting the hammer down. In a 0 to 60 run the OBC will read out a .3 MPG drop and that's in 5.20 seconds, so imaging a full session of spirited driving. I've seen the OBC read out 16 MPG during spirited driving. On the norm city driving it's at 19 MPG on the highway it's at 24 MPG. Also the Tiptronic has a different gear ratio then the manuals.

1st gear 3.66 : 1
2nd gear 2.00 : 1
3rd gear 1.41 : 1
4th gear 1.00 : 1
5th gear 0.74 :1
Final drive ratio 3.73 : 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Great thread!

The commentary is vibrant and, for the most part, polite. I'm just a shade-tree mechanic... but have learned from this forum, and seasoned posters, a plethora of information. Every single day, literally, I learn something new about the 986. That said...

Notwithstanding any variables... none... zero... assuming new plugs went in... no sensors were touched... car was raised and lowered without any jarring... basic plug change...

From where did that ~5 degrees come? If it wasn't there 5 minutes before the plug change... but surfaced 5 minutes after a plug change... wouldn't it be prudent to assume there existed a connection (absent "science") between the plug change and ~5 degrees?

Absent "scientific" explanations... what is the general concensus?

Thank you.
Correct and I'm not saying this would be the case with every car in the entire world either. However it does appear the plug change did make a difference with my setup. It's not stock for sure and those Bosch plugs are decent, but not the greatest either. I'm happy with the results.