View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #29
KRAM36
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
since you are being so aggressive about this, its time to call you out for a distinct lack of knowledge.

1. In closed loop, the car is reading the MAF voltage as well as the 02 sensor voltage, as well as half a dozen other sensors to determine how to maintain a stoich a/f ratio.

2. The 02 sensors that are used for A/F adjustment are PRE-CAT. The efficiency of your cats has nothing to do with the a/f.

3. If your ecu has to adjust a/f beyond typically 25%, you will receive lean/rich codes. Again, cat efficiency does not apply.

4. If your car is running rich, then you have some problem, potentially related to your maf sampling tube if you just stuffed in a 987 airbox.

You seem to have basically no clue how modern fuel injection operates, so I'd probably tone down the condescending commentary.
There is no such thing as a lean code on these cars, where did you come up with that one? You will need special equipment and sensors at a tune shop with a dyno to determine your AFR and adjust the ECU accordingly.

You can get tunes for these cars that ignore O2 sensors readings to the point where you can remove your O2 sensors from the car completely. Most guys that race their Boxters will put on headers and run without cats, block off the O2 ports (if any) in the exhaust and tie down the O2 sensor to an area of the car to keep it out of the way. Street guys that don't want to have a nagging CEL from the O2 sensor removal will get the tune to ignore the O2 sensors.

I never said my car was running rich, I said it eats a lot of gas. There is zero issue with my intake system setup that would cause the MAF not to read the air flow properly. My intake system still has the original MAF housing and the correct MAF for the diameter of the MAF housing. I know a lot about how the modern fuel injection system works on the Boxster, I've been studying it since December 2014, before I made any changes to my intake, to make sure I did everything properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I've got it! I've got a scenario whereby changing the spark plugs can lower the coolant temp!

Work with me here:

When you jacked up the rear of the car to gain access to the motor, the little peice of cardboard that was partially blocking one of your radiators, fell into a different position, which is no longer blocking airflow.

I think this is MUCH more plausible than what you've been postulating.
Sorry to burst your bubble on this one, but yesterday I pulled the front bumper to do the annual rad clearing ritual. It was actually very clean. The passenger side had no debris in it and the driver's side had one leaf and a cigarette butt in it.