View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #31
The Radium King

it's all about risk tolerance; a large expenditure of time/money vs protection from 2%-10% failure rate. where it is all blurred by year of car and type of original bearing, failure modes, misdiagnosis, potential failure of new bearing, multiple aftermarket solutions available that address the issue in different ways, etc.

unfortunately, the internet is not a good place for finesse; if you don't have the same level of risk tolerance as me then you are wrong. and there is some hidden (porsche?) economic hoightyness too; if you are unwilling to spend thousands to replace your bearing then you are wrong.

ultimately, i see it as a periodic maintenance item not initially identified by porsche, similar to the 15k oil change interval, water pump, tensioner paddles. further, the high-end cost of which is what, 25% of a new engine, so i, like kram, would rather save my pesos and pay the incremental cost for a bigger engine when/if the time comes. last time i had my transmission off i did not replace the bearing.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote