Thread: Speed limiter?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM   #16
The Radium King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
LOL - then with all due respect why are you here on a car 'enthusiasts' forum and why do you (if you even do) have a Boxster? Your words not mine... it's a 'thing with no purpose'. Even if just as an appliance it has a 'purpose'.

Some people like art. Some like silicone. Many a Canadian Ballet performer probably insist on having silicone to perform and create what they deem art.

Sounds like you are content and enjoy being controlled by others including government. What color shirt were you told to wear today?

To each his or her own, I say.
well, i try to obey the law. if that is being controlled by others then then i encourage you to try life in a lawless state like somalia and see how you fare. i get my speed at the track where i can do it legally. i am not a perfect person and occasionally i make mistakes. for example, i recently had to give a paycheque to the man when i got caught doing 170 on a hwy onramp. i've been tagged at 190 before. i see that as my fault and my price to pay, not the man for enforcing the rules that are sensible and are designed to keep people safe - safe from my actions in this case.

full disclosure - i am sort of the man myself - one of my job duties is managing the bylaw enforcement group in my community - the speed cops. we don't do it for revenue, we do it to keep residents safe - most of our enforcement happens in school zones and around playgrounds. one of the things i have learned is that prevention is a lot more effective, inexpensive, and lower risk than enforcement; if they can keep me from going fast then they don't have to try and catch me going fast.

i also know that laws, like life, taxes and hockey rules, are not static; they change and evolve to reflect new realities and new societal norms. and most of society wants safer roads, because most people just want to get from point a to point b without getting slammed into by someone driving foolishly. and if i insist that my right to drive as fast as i want supersedes the rights of the rest of society to be safe on the roads, i'm not sure i'll see much success. but i encourage you to rage on; get mad at the police officers who pull you over, get mad at the car companies, get mad at the sri lankan call centre guy that answers the telephone when you call your insurance company, get mad at your local politician that will say one thing and do another. i think all you'll accomplish is being mad a lot.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote