View Single Post
Old 03-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
husker boxster

I ran PSSs several yrs ago. I was early in my DE adventures (yrs 2 & 3) so all I did was set my pressures to factory specs at the start of the day and never bothered adjusting them during the day. I also had a stock alignment. I got almost 2 yrs out of them, but that was partly because I didn't drive very hard until the last half of the 2nd (3rd) yr on the PSSs. Here was the result:

Others in my region have had similar results with PSSs. I replaced the PSSs with Conti Extreme Contacts b/c Michelin was having trouble keeping production up to demand. I needed a set of tires immediately and couldn't wait for the promise date from Michelin.

Now I monitor my pressures throughout the day. Here's what I do with my Conti's... At the start of the 1st session, I set the pressures 3lbs below factory specs. By the end of the session, my car is pushing which means too much air. After the session, I drop my pressures to 3lbs over factory specs and then use that as my benchmark for the rest of the day. The PSS is a better track tire than the Conti, so you may need to go 4lbs rather than 3, but this should get you into the ballpark.

Once you go 4lbs less than specs, you'll start a dance with the devil (TPMS). Depending on how much time is between sessions, your TPMS may not like you. At Indy, there is 2.5 hrs between sessions. It was hot last yr, so I was adjusting down all afternoon. At the start of the last session, I est I was 7lbs low. I was sitting on the grid and my TPMS said I had a flat left rear. Luckily I could open my door and look - it was low but not flat.

Good luck. I've been waiting for your "new" Cayman intro thread.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-26-2019 at 11:11 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote