View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 07:59 AM   #1
The Radium King

fun with NASA ST Car Classing

so! my triumph gt6 historic race car suffered through a complete engine rebuild over the winter (it was a nightmare in there) and is ready to go vintage racing this summer (1900 lbs! 160 hp! toyota transmission! modern cv rear suspension!).

my plan is to build my boxster into a nasa st car to race st3 summer 2020 and put the vintage car out to pasture. my boxster will hopefully have the 3.6 engine in it by this time.

nasa st is a weight/hp class with modifiers for aero and tires. here is their calculator:

https://form.jotform.com/drivenasa/st-tt-car-classification-form

the 3.6 without breathing on it (ie, using what dynos results that i could find for the stock 3.6) puts out about 285 average hp as per nasa calculator.

i'll have the z-top which is give me a non-oem roofline.

i've decided to go tires over aero, so 285 slicks on the back and base trim model aero.

that makes for a 2800 lb car + my fat arse (and radio, and cool shirt, etc.). seems about right to me; car corner balanced at 2950 last year and, while the carpets etc., will be coming out, there will be a cage going in, and i'll keep the pssgr seat, windows, etc, accusump and the extra oil, and can add a fire system if a few more lbs is reqd.

sound about right? tires before aero? and, if the engine dynos higher or the car weights in lower, i can either (a) add more weight (nasa allows up to 250 lbs ballast) or (b) move to a dot tire like an a7/r7. what would you do - heavier or less tire?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote