View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 06:23 AM   #13
ripratama

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
There's a guy very local who has a set of 18" wheels for sale from a 987, a 2007. Would these fit my 2004 Boxster S, without any needed modifications?

Does it matter whether it's a Boxster or a Cayman?

Does it matter whether it's 987.1 or 987.2?

What about 911 wheels if I find a set of those?

Speaking to the bigger issue, is there an easy, simple way for me to find out whether a particular set of wheels would or would not fit my 2004 S?
Hi BoxMann,

From my experience in fitting 18" Boxster S II wheels from a 2011 987 to a 2004 986, I can confirm those will fit fine if you put correct tires i.e. 225/40 fronts and 265/35 rears.

The used wheels I purchased came with tires meant for 987 (235/40 fronts and 265/40 rears) which gave the 986 an ungainly taller look due to meatier sidewalls. I've since put on correct tires.

It shouldn't matter if the wheels come off from either the 987 Boxster or Cayman.

Husker Boxster has summed it up just right regarding 911 wheels. Their lower offset and wider width will be challenging to fit.

Do note that a lower offset number (eg. 35 mm against 50 mm) will position the wheel 15mm more outward if the width is identical. Wider wheels mean even more protrusion coming outward. You may need to roll fenders or adjust the camber to fit the wheels nicely. Some people take risk in "shaving" their inner wheel hub to increase the offset by few mm.

Higher offset numbers can be countered by fitting spacers, e.g. fitting 10mm spacer to a 50mm-offset wheel to achieve 40mm final offset.

The only sure way to know if a specific wheel set fit (or doesn't fit) a car is to try them on and turn the steering wheel to its extremities, and check for any physical contact. You should also drive over speed bumps to sense any rubbing. In any case, the outer diameter difference between old and new tires should be kept less than 5%.

Last edited by ripratama; 03-20-2019 at 06:26 AM.
ripratama is offline   Reply With Quote