View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 06:57 AM   #12
BoxMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
You're welcome. It's not rocket science if you know the basics.

I should probably rephrase my comments on 911 wheels. The fronts generally work as the widths and offsets are similar between the 911 & Boxster. The rears aren't generally close. 911 rears can come in 10" and 11" variations. Both have a wild offset (I think 36mm IIRC). The offset is the reason 911 rear wheels are more difficult to use on a Boxster. People are always asking if the 11" rears will work on a Boxster. For a long time the pat answer was no, but a few members have somehow made it work. You just get into lots of hoop jumping to make it work. You're miles ahead by buying the 987 wheels and just slapping them on.
I understand the concept of offset -- distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting face -- just wasn't entirely sure how many mm's variation is tolerable, and how much isn't, and what exactly is done when the variation is too much. Also, don't fully understand how a variation in offset affects handling. Is it just a clearance issue?

Also, I understand that spacers increase offset, but how do you reduce offset if you're confronted with that? Like, the fronts on the 987 are 7mm more offset than current. Also, for example, what if in the 987 vs 986 the numbers on the rear were reversed where OEM was 43 mm and the wheels you wanted to install were 52 mm, or even, let's say, 57 mm?

And thank you for the further explanation on the 911 wheels.

Last edited by BoxMann; 03-18-2019 at 09:55 AM.
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote