View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 06:26 AM   #6
piper6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickvd View Post
Check out the following article Good Vibrations concerning vibrational analysis. I exchanged emails with the author and he recommended monitoring the cam deviations with the durametric tool. I monitor mine and drive more \ worry less. And yes oil/ filter changes are important.
Cool article from Pedro's Garage. Thanks for sharing, Rickyd.

I'm all about worrying less. If the motor has a catastrophic failure, I could always find one for around 3K or less. I paid so little for the car, I mentally built in the cost for a motor anyway. However, I'd also like to give this engine every opportunity survive, without going nuts and getting nickle and dimed over it. Is it worth for me to pull the Tiptronic tranny to change the IMS bearing because there's a 8 -10 percent chance it'll fail, when if it did I could find another motor for around 3K? I'm thinking not. What could I do about the variocams if they fail? I'd probably have to pull the motor to get to them, right? I guess if I get a durametric tool I could monitor them like you do, and if they start to go bad I could weigh my options then. Maybe replace them, along with the IMS bearing. Worry less, drive more!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote