View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 01:30 AM   #1
AlanR

IMS - First Time Buyer Question

Hi guys. I promise I am not rushing to asking the question without having done some research but I can't find the exact answer I'm looking for.

I am about to bite the bullet on buying my first Porsche. 986 Boxster S - 2003 - 110,000 miles but well cared for and full service history etc.
I have enquired about the IMS and was told that the clutch was replaced about 18 months ago and at the time the IMS was inspected and was fine so they didn't replace.

My question is, is that enough? Is it the bearings themselves that were faulty and I can be confident that after 110,000 miles when the bearing was checked and found to be OK that I can relax? If it was faulty or going to explode would it have shown signs by now?

Personally I would have insisted on replacing it when the clutch was being done, given the potential for damage and the fact that - well it was just there, change it.
But that ship has sailed.

So, I guess my question is, the cars that this affected (I think I read 8% in a few places) is that 8% as a result of the bearing itself, driving style, too far between oil changes etc etc. The cars that haven't been affected, when can you consider it safe and that it won't be a problem in that car.
Can I be safe in the knowledge that the bearing was found to be OK 18 months ago and its not something I need to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote