View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 06:33 AM   #40
Homeoboxter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
My understanding is that the advantage of the original sealed bearing is that misc. metal shavings in the oil (the stuff we see in cut open oil filters) does not get into the bearings and that the original grease is a better lubricant. As mentioned the pressure changes, with time, wash the grease out and the seals prevent an adequate supply of new clean oil. So if you remove the outer seal on an original bearing (or a replacement for that matter) the bearing will be well lubricated by oil, but it could be affected by metal bits circulating in the oil. But than again if there is enough metal in the oil to affect the bearing you likely have another serious problem. Just my $.02 worth.
I`ve heard this theory but it does not make much sense to me. In a normally functioning engine there`s no metal bits circulating in the engine. Debris is constantly being filtered out of the oil by the oil filter. If metal particles get to the oil there`s an engine faiilure coming soon anyway and a sealed bearing won`t make a difference. Larger particles, typically broken timing chain rail pieces that can`t go through the oil pick up mesh are too large to get to the IMS because there`s no space.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote