View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 08:14 AM   #35
SC-986

Garage
Certainly not an expert here and all I can offer is my own personal experience. I purchased my ‘04 S about 1 1/2 years ago. One of the selling points was that the IMSB was upgraded in 2014 at 87,000 miles. The car now has 114,000 miles on the odometer. The DOF option was used and at the time of purchase I hadn’t researched the major differences between the DOF and LN’s offerings.

Fast forward to today and my ‘02 base at 168,000 mi. recently threw a cam deviation code. It is in the shop for further diagnosis and so I have spent a good bit of time researching the different IMSB upgrade options in the event that is the problem.

It seems the naysayers of the DOF system claim that where the oil is drawn from the engine to lubricate the IMSB is problematic in that it could be contaminated with debris or cause oil pressure problems on bank 2.

To date with nearly 30,000 mi. on the DOF system I have not experienced any oil pressure issues and I drive it pretty hard through the twisties of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
The drain plug magnet and filter do not have any ferrous material on or in them.

Most people will not write about a thing if it is working as designed, they only write about it when it fails. In my research I ran across (3) occurrences where LN’s ceramic retrofit bearing failed between 30,000 - 40,000 miles resulting in catastrophic engine failure. I found (1) occurrence of a DOF system concern where there was some valve train noise on bank 2 and when the oil feed was disconnected the noise went away - no failures per se.

On my ‘02 base if it requires an IMSB replacement, because of the high mileage, I will probably go with the DOF option. The IMS Solution is the gold standard and if the car had lower mileage I would opt for that. With the DOF system I can take the 1000.00 saved over the Solution and apply it to future engine repairs.
2004 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition, #1541,Tip, TechnoFix DOF IMSB upgrade
SC-986 is offline   Reply With Quote