View Single Post
Old 05-14-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
Ad Sach

Jimmy,

I guess since this weekend splits my Lime Rock DE day with my NHIS DE weekend, I may have answered too much in terms of a dedicated track car. It sounds like you want this car as a daily driver.

The Boxster is a great daily driver. I currently have 34K in 27 months since delivery. The number would have been higher, but I spent 14 of those months as an unemployed IT professional which drastically reduced my commute mileage. If you drive 20K a year in your current car , you will probably choose to do virtually all those 20K in your new Boxster.

My wife has a BMW 530i for her car, so on those times we are carrying more than the two of us, we go in her car. For furniture, lumber, large Boxes, we take the Boxster since I have a roof rack. I drive top down around town at any temperature between 28-105 degrees(I might be a fanatic!) For long freeway drives, the comfort zone (with A/C help) is more like 40-95 degrees top down.

I don't know when they upgraded the cables for the convertible top - I think around 2000 - On a forum like this you will see an unusually large amount of problems reported. DIY repairing the top mechanism doesn't sound all that difficult or expensive. The plastic rear window cracks, almost exclusively when someone tries to operate the top at temperatures below 40 degrees- the window does not seem to fail from age.

I'm not sure the Boxster S comes stock with the Carrera 18" lightweight wheels - in 2002 my S came with 17" wheels. 18" wheels are great in the west, around New England potholes they can be a little rough sometimes. I love my 18"s. Everyone who tracks a boxster for very long seems to choose 18" wheels unless they are competing in a class that mandates 17" wheels.

If you are thinking of a daily driver car, I'll change my earlier advice. - Buy the 'S'

Ad Sach
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote