View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #26
Grizzly

If nobody's correctly identified them yet, your wheels are Miros. I suspect, because they are mated with the Generals, that they were originally sold by Wheel Dynamics in California. Carlos, the owner, sells Miros and is very high on those Generals, as is the Tire Rack (now that I've owned them for 3000 miles, I'm pretty fond of them too). I really like the look of the Miros and considered them for our car, but Mrs. Grizzly balked at cleaning them. She had a set of similar BBS rims on an earlier vehicle, and they were a bear to keep clean.

Despite the warnings about running 18s or 19s on an early model car, I did some research and learned that they are likely quite safe for a street car. There is a distinct possibility of a rear suspension failure if the car is driven hard or tracked. In later model years, Porsche beefed up the rear suspension to accomodate larger wheel/tire combinations. Since our car is a cruiser and never pushed very hard, I opted for the 19s. They fill the wheelwells nicely and lend an updated look to the older body style. If I break the car because I made the wrong decision, I'll fix it or replace it. Right now, I think it looks cool. It rides and handles well and gets plenty of compliments.

We have the same tire setup as you, but our rear rim is only a 9.5". Yours is a 10". I think there are a couple of guys running 285s on the rear (TriGem2k comes to mind) but I don't think you can go much larger that that without starting to rub.

My $.02? I think your car looks great. Leave it as it is and enjoy the crap out of it.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote