View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 04:40 PM   #15
Boxter

I'll have to assume you are providing an educated opinion based on your experience with the 986 model but here is my take on the ride based on my limited time in the seat.

First off the tires are actually tucked into the wells at both the front and the rear...this can be seen in the image shown here.

With regards to the hydroplaning- All I can do is communicate my limited experience. The first trip I took was 200+ miles to the Poconos for the day at the track and much of the trip out was spent navigating through a driving rain. I could not believe the lack of hydroplaning...The car felt better in the rain than anything (Sports car that is) I had ever driven.

As for the other points...
* Decreasing wheel control due to the increase in unsprung weight and
In theory it makes absolute sense based on the calculations the engineers made while designing the car with the target rims/tires in mind so time will tell if other issues are realized in the related areas in the future. Again I have no frame of reference regarding the before and after feel but the car seems extremely tight with no noticable wheel control issues. That said I know the front struts were replaced within the last 1k with OEM parts at the dealer and the tires were installed during the same time.

* Slowed acceleration and breaking
At the risk of sounding like a broken record here the acceleration was/is underwhelming but the breaking feels amazing(pads and rotors were recently replaced). I have not taken it onto a track to date but given the road running I have had a chance to have fun with I did not experience even the slightest bit of fade after repeated hard breaking and the car seems to respond really well.

Now my curiosity is peaked.
I would like to drive another 98 tip to see if there is any real measurable differences based on the information at hand.

Thanks again for the responses!
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote