View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 07:11 AM   #15
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Slap on a couple of the plastic, thin, wobbly Porsche logo plates. That'll make it appear a car that sits on a dealer lot.

For how long is the shop going to test the car on the roadway, major or otherwise? 5 minutes?

For how long are you going to take the car on a test drive? 5? 10 minutes? The shop already will have done the "legwork".

I once had a challenge with my driving priviliges and asked my attorney, "How do I navigate this"? He said, "Don't tailgate. Don't weave. Use your signals. Make certain all your lights work. Don't be at the front of the pack. Don't speed".

Now... the "speed" part might be tough during the test run. So... don't do anything crazy or extraordinary. Share that with the shop... if they'll take the car on the road.

If, by chance, law enforcement does stop you... tell them. No plates available. Had the PPI performed and, because you're interested in the car, just wanted to "take it around the block". Tell them you'll have it insured, registered, and licensed within 24 hours... maybe that same day. Likely you will.

I finally "overcame" that driving priviliges challenge. 10 years later. Stopped not once. You may be safe for the test drives.

Just be cool and careful. Laws were made to be broken. YMMV.