View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 08:20 PM   #70
Homeoboxter

Garage
Hey Folks,

I haven`t posted for a while, the project has slowed down a bit. Spring is near though so I better speed up this restoration. At last I received the ring set for the engine. It`s not identical to the original but I think they should be fine.

Here they are:

The second is different from the original in design, different solution for the same function:

Top rings, old and new, side by side: no big difference in gap:

Same for the 2nd ring:

What was really worth the investment is the oil ring set: quite a bit of wear and deteroriation on the old ones. These rings were stuck in the piston groove in gunk.

After a slight hone on the bores they have to be ok.

I made some progress on pinning the IMS too. I realized that there is some chance for each of the three gears to spin on the shaft so I decided to pin all of them. Although I couldn`t see any sign of rotation of the gears with respect to the shaft, I made sure they are all aligned. The gear tooth on one side has to be in line with the gear trough on the other ( I looked at several IMS pics on the web to confirm this) :

Not only the shaft but also the gears are made of some surprisingly soft steel that`s quite easy to machine.

I tapped the holes with an M6 tap. I didn`t make the thread all the way through so the set screws will get stuck at the bottom.

Here`s how they look, the gear on the other end is pinned as well. They are not tightened down, hence they are sticking out. I`ll need some good permanent thread locker to finish it.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote