Thread: 100 Octane
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 04:02 AM   #11
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Our low octan gas here is 95 but I honestly can tell the car runs better on the 98 not really power wise but just smoother. I usally put high octan every other tank full. But I dont necassarily beleive its a required. You need to spoil your baby sometimes
Not sure where you're at, but you're probably looking at RON numbers. Not the same rating scale. (Unless you're regularly buying fuel at the racetrack).

From wikismedia:
"Another type of octane rating, called****Motor Octane Number****(MON), is determined at 900 rpm engine speed instead of the 600 rpm for RON.****MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, higher engine speed, and variable****ignition timing****to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern pump gasoline will be about 8 to 12 octane lower than the RON"

RON is more common worldwide, but RON has been the US standard for a long time. (Though we're beginning to see RON listed at many US pumps)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote