View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #6
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmic View Post
I do have a 996 cluster. Was just going to see if I could get voltage and pressure working on the 986. Don't know if that is possible. If I use the 996 cluster, I need to install the steering column levers or switches to scroll through the OBC. It's a track car, so I don't have much use for the OBC.
You would have to sacrifice a 996 cluster to get the "gauges" and bezel to even try to get the gauges working on a 986. I put gauges in quotes as they are not like a discrete gauge you would buy, but just a unique stepper motor, face, board, etc. The only thing that would work with it is it is the 996 cluster parts, unless you spent more money duplicating it.

For what it is worth, the oil pressure gauge in the 996 cluster is pretty heavily damped anyway, and not much more useful than an idiot light, maybe even less so as you are not likely to spend much time looking at it when it matters on the track. Chances are you are not going to see it when oil pressure drops in the long right handers where these engines have problems. Porsche didn't make these clusters for track use, but rather the street. It is OK for steady state readings, but not dynamic. Better than nothing, but not worth putting a lot of effort into if you want real information.

The best solution is a real motorsport sender, gauge (or ideally dash) and a telemetry box, but that is going to tell you things that you don't want to know...