View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #52
Ottomotion

Well, I am still trying to get to the smog station. The car has yet to throw a CEL, but refuses to give a PASS reading for the SAI system. I have driven it over 600 miles and still in FAIL mode.
I have tried numerous times to follow the prescribed 'drive cycle' instructions. I have also tried the 2700-3000rpm cold start numerous times....

Still in FAIL for SAI.

P0491 and p0492 showing on the Durametric.

The SAI pump is doing its thing on start up for @ 50 seconds so I know it is working properly....

I am really focusing in on vacuum. If the valve at the end of the big hose coming from the SAI pump is not opening, then that could be the root of the problem. There is a vacuum line that connects to it that operates it.

I have checked all the little lines that cross the motor, control the tip-trans coolant line, connect to all the switches, etc and they all look good. I think i had some disconnected on the bank 2 switch...but now they are good.

FINALLY, tonight, I hooked up a vacuum pump to the reservoir and sure enough, it will not hold vacuum. It will pump up a little, but pretty quickly releases vacuum.

So, I pulled the alternator and accessed the screw that holds it in place and pulled it out.

New one on order and also looking into the SAI disable kit.

Maybe related is the transmission shifting too soon...especially 4-5. Can bad vacuum mess with this as well?

Really enjoying the car otherwise....

Finally...getting a fuel smell from passenger side front fender well. Been reading up and it looks like a fuel tank bleeder valve project is in my future...:ah:

2003 Boxster S
1939 Ford DeLuxe Coupe w/392 Hemi
1984 Suby Vanagon Westfalia
Ottomotion is offline   Reply With Quote