View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Gilles

Is DIY a proper alignment a taboo..?

Hi, I wanted to share the experience of performing an alignment the first time by myself and also at the same time would like to know your comments.

Three weeks ago I installed a set of KW-V3's coilovers on my new (to me) 981CS, after most of the day with my son's help, I told him that this would definitely be my very last suspension as I was all bruised and exhausted (in reality, too old..), but next day after seeing the car new 'lower stance' told my kid "it makes you forget the pain and makes you feel that it was worth it every single hour"

However, last week I finally decided to learn to use the Smart Strings and Smart Camber kit that's been sitting on my garage for two years (...!) with the intention of getting the alignment close enough, so I could drive my car to get it corner balanced and also a professional alignment.

After setting the height to the maximum height on the coilovers (about 1.5" is the 'minimum' that you can lower the car with the KW's) I managed to get the rear axle to a -2.2 negative camber (minimum negative camber after lowering the car) and left the front axle at -1.5 camber, with "0" toe front and rear.

Today is the first time I drove the car after 'my alignment' and was very cautious driving the car as didn't want to wreck it.. but to my surprise the car was rock solid, very stable and getting close to my office I decided to push it around a couple of 90 degree turns that have enough run-off for a spin (in case something went wrong..) but again the car felt amazing and very stable 

The question is: Am I risking wrecking the car? or it's simply a reaction for something you never done before and ended not being any Black Magic after all? I am still going to take it to Steve Alarcon for the corner balance and professional alignment, But.. with the intention of performing my own alignments afterwards from now on.

Should I be ok, or just taking unnecessary risks?

Last edited by Gilles; 01-25-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote