View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
JayG
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
here is a site that does a good job of illustrating the inner workings of an abs pump:

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/abs-esc-hydraulic-control-unit-modulator-diagnostics/

you can see that an improperly seated/leaking valve would give the fluid a place to go that isn't the caliper and cause the pedal to travel further before it engaged.

i guess first step would be to determine if your issue is engagement point (i have to push pedal further) or effort (pedal is too easy/hard to push).

a quick search for symptoms of failing abs pump indicated that progressively non-responsive brake pedal is one of them.

and hey, it's the one component you haven't replaced yet (because it's expensive). if you do change it, note that there are multiple versions based on year and types of traction control, so double check part #'s.

That's a thought.

Lets say the ABS pump is leaking, where would the fluid go?
I see any nor is the level dropping

Also, when the vacuum booster is disconnected, the the pedal is rock hard, just have to push like a M-Fkr

The brakes do work and so does ABS. Its just the pedal is soft, it travels about halfway before you feel braking.
In speaking with one of my track-rat friends, he suggested changing the pads.

In reading symptoms of failing ABS module, the pedal would get harder, not softer
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 01-21-2019 at 09:35 AM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote