Thread: 986 versus 911
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #36
Robert993TT

I’ve driven versions of air cooled 911’s as well as water cooled ones and a few Boxsters except more recent generation. Also, I own a 993 turbo and a 986S 550 SE.

A few months ago a drove a 996 cabriolet for a friend and used the Boxster that same day and the more fun car is without question the 986. It is such a useful car I’m thinking of keeping it for many years. Done a three weeks trip in the summer of 2017 from northern Europe to France and Italy including Corsica and Elba. I could not think of any better car to do that trip. The Boxster is low key enough to park it anywhere. Exceptionally fun to drive but comfortable enough for many hours behind the wheel.

I too used to rate the 986 when new as a hair dressers car more or less. Too easy to drive, a bite tame. Not as raw as I might have hoped. Too high expectations in hindsight.

I remembered how well-balanced the Boxster where overall after all those years. A few years ago I thought to myself I should find one for a test drive. See if my opinion had change as I got older. I could not think of any better road car at that price point new or secondhand. Still, an analog car, manual gearbox, Mid engine, nice sound, low key and practical enough for daily duty as well as road trips. The car has not disappointed so far. What used to be it’s weakness is now it strengths.
Robert993TT is offline   Reply With Quote