View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 01:41 AM   #47
thom4782

Your camshaft deviations are completely normal and did not cause the P1341 code. If anything, the vatiocam on one side failed to advance the timing as the engine spun up through the 2000-5000 rpm range.

The way to examine this issue involves several steps. First, bring the car up to operating temperature and measure the actual camshaft angles. This is another selection on your Durametric.

It's possible you'll see the angle on one side either not jumping up or jumping up slowly compared to the other side as you hit the rpm value that triggers the variocam to expand. When this happens, P1341 results. I believe the below limit means the actual angle was too small when the variocam should have activated. See this thread: https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/26617-p1341-what-could-this-be/ and how to check.

If so, there are several possible causes. One, the variocam solenoid could be toast or in the process of failing. This is a relatively low cost easy fix. Or this may be the case of the variocam itself. If one side lags and then increases, it's possible this is due to a weak solenoid.

Hope this helps. I saw this same condition in my 01S. Haven't fixed it b/c I also saw internal chain rail debris in the sump and don't have the ability to replace this internal part myself.

Last edited by thom4782; 01-05-2019 at 01:46 AM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote