View Single Post
Old 01-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #28
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
I'll try driving up next time. A little tricky with a manual but obviously you guys are doing it.
In the spirit of reviving this thread endlessly...

Yeah, ascending ramps on my own made me nervous the first time or two, but it's not too bad. Obviously, make sure you've got them aligned precisely, and well centered on each tire. The other thing that's helped me a lot is a measuring stick. Took an old piece of 3/4" x 1" and cut it to the exact length I need to drive to get up the ramp the distance I want to go. Once the ramps are in place, I position it as shown in the photo, point my finger at one end and let out the clutch. Obviously, when my finger reaches the other end I'm at my destination. It helps, because you don't want to be too hesitant in the driving process (esp with a manual---you tend to stall), but gunning it is nerve-wracking when you don't quite know how far to go.

As you can see, there's a piece of green tape more toward the middle of the strip as well. On a day that I apparently had more time on my hands than I knew what to do with, I made a set of 4 shorter ramps. They're handy when I wash, clay, wax, whatever the car. This old back of mine appreciates not having to bend over quite so far when tackling such projects Anyway, the shorter distance marked by the 'middle' green strip of tape is the distance for the shorter ramps.

Last edited by Frodo; 01-03-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote