View Single Post
Old 12-29-2018, 06:22 AM   #142
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmar04 View Post
Why do these ‘Porsche mechanics ‘ think their time is worth 125-150 per hour?? After all, it is all wrenching!! Any good mechanic , with proper tools and instructions should be able to replace IMS bearing, clutch, water pump, etc
They don't.
That mechanic isn't making much more than any other ASE certified mechanic. But remember, when you pay that rate, you're paying also for the porsche- specific training these guys were required to attend. You're paying for the porsche tools and diagnostic equipment. And perhaps the largest chunk: you're paying for the building you're standing in when you do it. That building costs substantially more than a Chevy building. (I build them, so I can expound on that, if you don't believe me). Ask yourself if you'd take your car to a mechanic who didn't have all of those things I just mentioned? If you're answer is yes, then you are quite free to do so! Hahaha. ;-)
Seriously: if you feel that an RMS requires no specific training, or tools, or a fancy building, then take it to tunex....
Me? I do all my own wrenching. But if I ever came across something so daunting that I felt I needed to take it to someone, it'd most certainly be the porsche certified guys. Not some guy just like me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote