View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 06:06 AM   #36
Brucelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander1
My point is that this country has NO energy policy under the current administration, other than to line the pockets of the oil companies. Richard Branson is committing more dollars to alternative fuels than the U.S. government. (And, by the way, alternate energy firms ARE funding ethanol refineries AND getting local government approvals for such facilities. How interesting!)

I'm no fan of any politicians at the moment, but we have to give the Democrats a chance because right now they're all we have. The Republicans have chosen the oil industry over the people they're supposed to represent.

I do believe prices will rise after the election. After this past week, you'll see the oil producers will add to their rationalizations for gouging by throwing Hugo Chavez and Venezuela into the mix.

If any of you are following China's strong and diplomatic quest for energy resources in Latin America (and our apparent rejection or ignorance of this important region), there will come a day when Venezuela (as well as Iran) will find enough buyers for their oil outside the United States. I have no idea what gas should cost now, since I'm not one of the pricing manipulators, but I can tell you we will be wishing for $3.00 a gallon if those two countries are able to take their business elsewhere and the U.S. continues with its total lack of an alternative energy policy.

Factually speaking, the US Rederal Government has an "energy policy" if one looks at ALL of its practices and regulations. You may or may not LIKE those policies and if you are unhappy, you can try to elect some folks who will enact one you like.

Of course to do that, you need a context. Simply saying that the US Government is in the pocket of the oil industry doesn't make it so. Again, no data, simply assertions that, since the policy is not what I like, it MUST be because all these guys are crooks, but I am pure.

Again, factually, if there were going on for as long as it has been implied, where is your proof? Where are the convictions>

Where is the ROI data that shows how well these companies are doing with their capital IN THE LONG RUN!

All commodity prices fluctuate greatly with supply and demand. You have not offered up one shread of credible evidence that the oil industry is engaged in any illegal actions, nor that oil prices are being manipulated.

No surprise, Congress, the FTC, Justice and the state AGs can't either.

Might be because it is not happening.

If it IS happening, it is happening ALL OVER THE WORLD! Are there NO law enforcement agencies anywhere in the world that can find these guys out?

And STILL, OPEC cannot keep its prices up.

Simply picking a time when prices go up to yell conspiracy makes you look silly.

I have no doubt that like any commodity, the price of oil will rise and fall depending on how folks perceive current and future supply and demand issues. The fact that nations are posturing to ensure that their energy needs are met is simply a fact of life.

So what, what is your alternative.

Would you like to nationalize all US oil companies.

In absence of any legal basis to do this or any evidence of illegal activity, what would you expect to be better? Are you suggesting that the US government can provide energy for us more effectively.

I am still laughing at that one.

What exactly are you suggesting, that the Democraps can do a better job? Where is your evidence for that? Are you suggesting that the Clinton administration did a better job?

Data please on that one!

Making assertions is easy, backing them up with facts is not!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote